Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Black enough

NAACP publisher Roger Wilkins introduced Barack Obama thus: "I want to tell you a secret from me to you: this man is black enough, I guarantee you!"

That's what Dr. King said, wasn't it? Umm:

"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Oh, that's right; King's speech was inspiring and appealed to what Lincoln called "the better angels of our nature."

Wilkins' comment was sadly revealing bullshit.

I've said it before in a different way, so I'll say it this way:

Bigots who won't vote for Obama primarily because he's black are no more ignorant and wrong than black people who support Obama primarily because he's black.

If Obama does win the Presidency, I won't be too surprised when I hear ill-informed cries of "Unka Tom! Unka Tom!" from those a shade darker than himself.

No comments: