Friday, April 27, 2007
- Richard Gere gives Shilpa Shetty a peck on the cheek in India. The Indians are offended by this lapse in modesty, so they burn Gere in effigy. The people who gave us the Kama Sutra are embarrassed by public displays of affection; who knew? (I offer the neologism "simmolation" as a synonym for burning someone in effigy.)
- In 1961, the Soviet Union--occupiers of a foreign capital city--build the Berlin Wall. In 1987, as the Cold War is on its last legs, then-President Ronald Reagan says, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" In 2007, the US--occupiers of a foreign capital city--build a wall in Baghdad.
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
- The "offensive phrase" ("nappy-headed ho's") uttered by Don Imus is not a big deal. It's not boycott-worthy, and it's not fire-worthy. Maybe Imus should grow up, but so should everybody else. I don't listen to him anyway.
- The Rutgers women's team did not have their "moment of glory" (didn't they lose?) stolen from them by Imus' comments. If anything, they had it stolen by Al Sharpton's self-imposed role as the truffle-sniffing pig of racism.
- Oprah's efforts to begin the National Healing are overblown and unnecessary.
- I like the phrase "the truffle-sniffing pig of racism". The phrase itself is not racist because I'm judging Sharpton on his actions, not the color of his skin.
- I've never had truffles, but I hear they're good.