Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Could it BE any more disruptive?

My condo has polybutylene pipe throughout. Because the original owner did not take the opportunity to get the pipes replaced for free under the class action lawsuit, the condo association has assessed each of us a large fee for the replacement of the recalled material. They said their insurance premiums were getting huge because of the few instances that pipes burst every year.

Lack of planning on their part does constitute an emergency (and expense) on my part.

There are workmen in every room of my home.

I cleared out what I thought they would need access to; it was not nearly enough.

They cut holes in the drywall in the dining room because it backs up to the icemaker line for the refrigerator.

They cut holes in the hall closet because it backs up to the laundry room.


They cut holes in the living room because it also backs up to the laundry room.

They dismantled copper pipe in the laundry room.

They cut holes in the closet in the master bedroom because it backs up to the master bath.


They removed the mirror in the guest bathroom and cut holes in the wall behind it. They also cut a hole next to the toilet.

They cut holes in the closet in the guest bedroom because it backs up to the guest bathroom.

Did I mention I have two cats? One is cowering in the kitchen cabinets; the other is hiding under the guest bed.

There is canvas and plastic sheeting everywhere. There are five guys crawling all over my home, cutting and torching away. My apartment is replete with drywall dust, the smell of blowtorch gases, blue tape, chunks of raggedly cut drywall, frightened animals, the metal-on-metal sounds of buzzing saws, hammering, Spanish, grunting.

Polybutylene has my condo in its octopus-like grip.

No comments: