Thursday, August 24, 2006

Dell Part Deux

Some people are whining about how long the estimates were for Dell to send them a replacement battery for their ticking time bombs.

Last Thursday, I went to the Dell website and started the ball rolling for my replacement. Their e-mail said "Your replacement order has been received and you can expect to receive your new battery within 20 business days." Sounds like a lot, I'll grant you.

On Monday, I got this e-mail: "Your replacement battery has been shipped and you can expect to receive your new battery within 7-10 business days."

On Tuesday, I got the new battery. On Wednesday, I sent back the bad one in the same packaging with a prepaid mailing label. It couldn't have been simpler.

Stop whining and go online and order the damn thing. You should have no trouble receiving your new battery.

Now, I happen to be a consultant to a major US enterprise involved in...stuff. Today at work I learned of an interesting development related to the Dell battery recall, but I'm not going to tell you what it is, because my job does not involve making press releases. I've just never been in the position of having inside information before, even if it's not necessarily above the fold.

I wonder if Dell knows....

2 comments:

divageek said...

I'll be interested to find out what the latter part of your post is about when the info becomes public knowledge. . .

Greg said...

It turns out to have been a great non-event. Last minute changes.

Nevermind.