Monday, June 12, 2006

"No-Clue Rant"; "Learn, O Cunt"

In today's New York Times, David Carr explains the success of a certain write-winger "in part because seeing hate-speech pop out of a blonde who knows her way around a black cocktail dress makes for compelling viewing." He adds that "the fact that she is one of the leading political writers of our age says something about the rest of us."

By "leading" I assume Carr is referring to her book sales, which have earned her millions. She's certainly not "leading" in any qualitative sense. And the only relevant "us" are those who give their money willingly so that she may live a more comfortable life in Palm Beach.

She's popular among Republicans because she's one of the only remotely fuckable women on their side of the aisle. She makes news because she says the most extreme, reprehensible things while looking as though she should be commenting on the latest trends in handbags or rubbing noses with some foofy little dog.

C'mon, she's about as authentic as pro wrestling. She's famous for being infamous. She has found a formula that works for her, and is milking it until it runs dry. She's about as consistent as a Johnnie Cochran defense argument, without the rhyming.

3 comments:

HappyStill said...

I am not sure about this post.. I realise it's your blog and you can write what you like and I feel I'm being a bit cheeky being critical...but it's a wee bit like a misogynist rant.
I am not familiar with the people referred to because they're not that famous here, several thousand miles away. That probably says a lot about their talents...
I had a look at what I could find about them and would tend to agree that their analytical and writing skills are a little .. vague.
What I thought odd, though, was the references to her gender which were absent in your references to him.
I appreciate that she's not flavour of the month in your book but it would have had more impact if you had shredded her skills (such as they are)without lowering yourself to the level of those you were writing about.
As I said, it is your blog and you should be proud of it but there's enough objectifying of women in cyberspace without intelligent men joining in.
That said,I do check in with your musings occasionally and will continue to do so!
Keep smilin'g

Greg said...

I'm not familiar with David Carr, either; I just happened across his column, so my criticism is not levelled at him. I'm using him as a springboard to deride a hateful woman.

I'm not against her because of her gender. But, in my opinion, she trades on her gender and looks in the course of her self-promotion, so that makes it fair game.

Also, in Carr's article, he quotes her as using the terms "harpies", "witches", and "broads" when referring to a particular group of women (9/11 widows), so perhaps she's being misogynistic.

I appreciate the perspective from a woman in Eire, however.

HappyStill said...

She may well be a poor example of sisterhood, but that does not mean that you have to join in!
PS tell your friend to get a grip. He should take up gardening or flower arranging or origami until he gets over his mid life crisis... tell his wife and step daughter to run for the hills.... not that it's any of my business!