Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscar Night

Some thoughts on the 2006 Oscars:

I was excited that Jon Stewart was hosting, but I give him a B- for his efforts. He wasn't as quick as he is on the Daily Show. He just kept lobbing trial balloons at the audience, timidly. I'd give him another chance at it, though.

The director did a terrible job of selecting which camera to use. We got to see stage hands removing equipment and extreme close-ups of celebrity faces. However, I will say that the camera loved the seemingly annointed couple of Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams, the latter of whom looked incredibly beautiful.

Why does anyone still care about Jack Nicholson? Who made him King of Hollywood? He's a caricature of himself.

During the In Memoriam section, unless I blinked, I didn't see Don Knotts listed. How could they forget the Incredible Mr. Limpet? Or Lou Rawls or Wilson Pickett or Peter Benchley or Curt Gowdy or Dennis Weaver or even Jack Wild, for that matter (yes, they all had something to do with film).

I never liked Lauren Bacall, but she seemed to be in a great deal of pain introducing the salute to Film Noir, and was surprised to see her in the audience later. I had expected her to be whisked off somewhere.

Music: I thought Dolly Parton's song was embarrassingly bad, with all those "woos". I loved Kathleen "Bird" York's voice, but thought the dancing was silly (as Jon Stewart pointed out). And the rap group that won? Let me just say that I remember when Phil Collins was not allowed to sing his own song at the Oscars ("Against All Odds") because a "popular musician" was deemed unworthy of taking the stage. Phil Collins! Years later, it was wonderful to see Elliott Smith bravely performing "Miss Misery" all by himself on that big stage.

So, if you missed it, you didn't miss much. Highlights: Jennifer Garner tripping over her own dress and commenting "I do my own stunts!"; Michelle Williams' very red lips and pale everything else; Rachel Weisz's bountiful cleavage; George Clooney's face as he played along with Jon Stewart's joke about his film title; Hillary Swank in her sleek black dress.

1 comment:

Rikki said...

I think that's the reason why most of us watch it :)